Friday 6 September 2013

WERE THE PROPHETS EXEMPT FROM SIN?



DID THEY REALLY SIN?
The Scriptures make it very clear that ALL have sinned and fallen short of God's standard of perfection. The Bible says: "They have all turned aside. They have together become unprofitable. There is none who does good, no, not one” (Romans 3:12). There has only ever been One man, Jesus Christ, who has lived perfectly without sin. Every other human being has been a sinner in the sight of God and has failed to please God fully.
 So what of the prophets and their character and actions?
 However pious the prophets were, they were still just men. They, too, failed and sinned and therefore needed God's forgiveness. Muslims often point out that the Old Testament must be corrupted because it has the prophets sinning, and ‘everyone knows that prophets become immune to sin when they are called by Allah.’
But that does not match up with the testimony of the Qur’an. The Qur’an shows that all the prophets sinned, except for Jesus. Let me give a few examples (I am quoting from Abdullah Yusuf Ali’s Translation of the Qur’an): Adam: Surah Ta Ha 20:121: "thus did Adam disobey his Lord, and allow himself to be seduced."
 Muslim scholars have agreed that disobedience is one of the major sins, on the evidence of Surah the Jinn 72:23: "whoso disobeyeth Allah and his messenger, lo! his is fire of hell, wherein such dwell forever."
 Jonah: Surah Who Set Ranks 37:139-142: “So also was Jonah among those sent (by Us). When he ran away (like a slave from captivity) to the ship (fully) laden, He (agreed to) cast lots, and he was condemned: Then the big Fish did swallow him, and he had done acts worthy of blame."
 Abraham: Surah The Poets 26:82 records Abraham saying: "And who, I hope, will forgive me my faults on the day of Judgment."
 Surah Abraham 14:41: " O our Lord! cover (us) with Thy Forgiveness - me, my parents, and (all) Believers, on the Day that the Reckoning will be established!."
 Moses: Surah The Story 28:16: " He (Moses) prayed: "O my Lord! I have indeed wronged my soul! Do Thou then forgive me!"
Surah The Heights 7:151 " Moses prayed: ‘O my Lord! forgive me and my brother! admit us to Thy mercy! for Thou art the Most Merciful of those who show mercy!’"
 Noah: Surah Noah 71:28: "O my Lord! Forgive me, my parents..."
Surah Hud 11:46, 47, “Noah said: "O my Lord! I do seek refuge with Thee, lest I ask Thee for that of which I have no knowledge. And unless thou forgive me and have Mercy on me, I should indeed be lost!"
David: Surah Sad 38:24: " David said: ‘He has undoubtedly wronged thee in demanding thy (single) ewe to be added to his (flock of) ewes: truly many are the partners (in business) who wrong each other: Not so do those who believe and work deeds of righteousness, and how few are they?’...and David gathered that We had tried him: he asked forgiveness of his Lord, fell down, bowing (in prostration), and turned (to Allah in repentance)."
 Solomon: Surah Sad 38:34-35: " And We did try Solomon: We placed on his throne a body (without life); but he did turn (to Us in true devotion). He said, ‘O my Lord! Forgive me, and grant me a kingdom which, (it may be), suits not another after me: for Thou art the Grantor of Bounties (without measure).’”
 Muhammad: Surah Muhammad 47:19 has Allah telling Muhammad to repent for his sin: “Know, therefore, that there is no god but Allah, and ask forgiveness for thy fault (sin) and for the men and women who believe.” The Arabic is singular: You, Muhammad, repent for your own sins. It cannot mean that he needs to somehow repent for his people's sins. Arabic grammar does not permit it.
 The Hadith, Muslims’ second source of authority, also says that Muhammad was a sinner:
 Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle [Muhammad] used to keep silent between the Takbir and the recitation of the Qur'an, and that interval of silence used to be a short one. I said to the Prophet "May my parents be sacrificed for you! What do you say in the pause between Takbir and recitation?" The Prophet said, "I say, ‘O Allah! Set me apart from my sins as the East and West are set apart from each other and clean me from sins as a white garment is cleaned of dirt (after thorough washing). O Allah! Wash off my sins with water, snow and hail.’"  (Hadith, Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 12, Number 711).
 Narrated Abu Huraira: I heard Allah's Apostle saying." By Allah! I ask for forgiveness from Allah and turn to Him in repentance more than seventy times a day." (Hadith, Sahih Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 75, Number 319).
 Abu Huraira said, “I heard Allah’s Apostle saying, ‘There is none born amongst the offspring of Adam, but Satan touches it. A child therefore cries loudly at the time of birth because of the touch of Satan, except Mary and her child.’” Then Abu Huraira recited: “And I seek refuge with You for her and for her offspring from the outcast Satan (Surah 3:36)” (Hadith, Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 60, Number 3431).
 All these Hadiths teach that Muhammad himself was a sinner.
 What about Jesus?
Jesus is unique. He was perfectly holy. Every person in the history of the world needed repentance and forgiveness because they all committed sins one way or another, but not Jesus. He never had nasty thoughts, never said bad words and never did anything wrong. That is why he never had to repent or ask for forgiveness. Only Jesus was pure and free from sin (1 Peter 2: 22; Hebrews 7:26; John 8:46; Luke 4:34). Therefore only he can be our Saviour. (Word of hope).



No comments:

Post a Comment